Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Marriage is Hard Work

Why does the secular world seem to understand better than the religious arena sometimes? I recently came across a book I picked up in the airport written by a secular psychologist. The title could be found in a Christian bookstore, The Marriage Benefit: The surprising rewards of staying together.

Here is a major premise of his work, "...in this age of fast and easy gratification giving things time is becoming a lost art."

I found myself convicted throughout the book as to how I have been shaped more by my culture and my own desires than than by the call of Christ. Just that one thought alone, "giving things time" is a haunting reminder to me of what is too often lacking. I hear more about why people want to give up on marriage than on how to make it work. Could it be because it's just too hard to truly grow in that relationship?

In a culture where we are obsessed with youth and euphoria we need a clear reminder to endure or "give things time." There is a direct parallel again between marriage and the Christian life. Jesus calls us to bear patiently or to give things time rather than assume His promises will not hold true. I fear that's also becoming a lost art in our Christian lives.

I'll be quoting often from this book in the future but for now remember this more important quote, "...let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith..."Heb.12:1,2

No comments: